[CentOS] Adobe plugin for firefox

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Tue Dec 9 21:46:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 15:55 -0500, Bo Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, December 9, 2008 3:49 pm, William L. Maltby wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 15:01 -0500, Bo Lynch wrote:
> >> I'm having an issue with workstation opening pdf's with firefox. I have
> >> the adobe plugin installed and enabled in firefox but firefox will only
> >> let me save the file. Under applications I have tried using the doc
> >> reader
> >> and adobe to associate pdf's with firefox with no luck. I am running
> >> firefox 3.0.4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >> Thank you
> >
> > I've just been mucking about with this stuff. If you'll provide more
> > information, <snip>

> rpm -q firefox
> firefox-3.0.4-1.el5.centos

We match there

> [root at localhost ~]# acroread -v
> 8.1.3

We match there too. How about this.

> The output of pluginreg.dat. This file was located in
> ~/.mozilla/firefox/ssehte9e.default
> Is this normal?

Yes. Sometimes there's more than one.

> Generated File. Do not edit.
>
> [HEADER]
> Version:0.09:$
>
> [PLUGINS]
> /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/npwrapper.so:$
> :$
> 1216305953000:1:1:$
> <a
> href="http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/">nspluginwrapper</a>
>  is a cross-platform NPAPI plugin viewer, in particular for linux/i386
> GNU General Public License.<br>:$
> NPAPI Plugins Wrapper 0.9.91.5:$
> 1
> 0:unknown/mime-type:Do not open:none:$
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so:$
> :$
> 1226956491000:1:1:$
> Shockwave Flash 10.0 r12:$
> Shockwave Flash:$
> 2
> 0:application/x-shockwave-flash:Shockwave Flash:swf:$
> 1:application/futuresplash:FutureSplash Player:spl:$
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/nswrapper_32_32.nppdf.so:$
> :$
> 1227025018000:1:1:$
> The Adobe Reader plugin is used to enable viewing of PDF and FDF files
> from within the browser.:$
> Adobe Reader 8.0:$
> 5
> 0:application/pdf:Portable Document Format:pdf:$
> 1:application/vnd.fdf:Acrobat Forms Data Format:fdf:$
> 2:application/vnd.adobe.xfdf:XML Version of Acrobat Forms Data Format:xfdf:$
> 3:application/vnd.adobe.xdp+xml:Acrobat XML Data Package:xdp:$
> 4:application/vnd.adobe.xfd+xml:Adobe FormFlow99 Data File:xfd:$

The substantive parts (pdf related) seem to match. Makes me wonder about
your settings.

Did you get into FF and go to Tools->add-ons->plugins? Does stuff look
normal there? Specifically, is "Adobe Reader 8.0" enabled? I've made a
snapshot I can mail you off-list. It's about 44K, which would make this
mail near the 50KB list limit.

Have you, in FF, gone to Edit->Preferences->Main and looked at the
"Downloads" section? Mine has "Show the downloads window..." checked and
"Save files to" set to "Desktop".

With all this, when I click on a PDF, all works as expected. Can you
provide the link you're having problems with? Most of my downloads are
at a site that starts the process with a jave application, so I don't
often just click a regular PDF url.

When the download window opens, I get to choose actions. When I've
opened the PDF, I can then save it anyplace I like.

> Thanks for any help.
> Bo Lynch
> <snip sig stuff>

I've not been much help yet.

How about the folloing stuff? Look similar?

$ ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plug*
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:
libflashplayer.so       mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt  mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt
libjavaplugin_oji.so    mplayerplug-in-rm.so   mplayerplug-in.xpt
mplayerplug-in-dvx.so   mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt  nphelix.so
mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt  mplayerplug-in.so      nphelix.xpt
mplayerplug-in-qt.so    mplayerplug-in-wmp.so  nppdf.so

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped:
mplayerplug-in-dvx.xpt             nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-dvx.so
mplayerplug-in-qt.xpt              nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-qt.so
mplayerplug-in-rm.xpt              nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-rm.so
mplayerplug-in-wmp.xpt             nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in.so
mplayerplug-in.xpt                 nswrapper_32_32.mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
nphelix.xpt                        nswrapper_32_32.nphelix.so
npwrapper.so                       nswrapper_32_32.nppdf.so
nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so

--
Bill