[CentOS] pop3 attack

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Dec 10 18:36:58 UTC 2008

on 12-10-2008 9:16 AM Bill Campbell spake the following:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008, James Pifer wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 16:26 -0500, James Pifer wrote:
>>> Thanks to all. For now I've stopped it using iptables. I tried stopping
>>> it at my router without success, yet another reason to replace it! I
>>> will also report it to abuse at covad.net.
>> My issues have gotten worse. Apparently over the last few days my ip
>> address has gotten blacklisted. No idea why. Even though I have a
>> commercial class cable modem service, my ip is residential because it
>> comes to my house. But I've been running my mail server for several
>> years and never had an issue.
> Your IP address,, is listed on zen.spamhaus.org, and
> you can probably go to their web site to see why it's listed.

This address is on the PBL because Time Warner says it shouldn't be sending
e-mail. He will have to use roadrunners smarthost, and see if they allow it.
If they consider it a residential account, their AUP probably bans running any
servers anyway, so he will have to deal with them.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!