[CentOS] URGENT: libdvdcss install hosed /var

Toby Bluhm tkb at alltechmedusa.com
Thu Dec 11 21:32:15 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> It doesn't.  It seems, though, that it is GNOME that is painfully slow
> to start any thing up, and when it is doing so, it hampers everything
> else to some extent.  Slow as in it takes minutes to load programs
> instead of milliseconds....

Gnome at one time (RH9 days I think) was painfully slow to start after a
hostname change, until it udpated itself in all places - or whatever it
was doing. Is your hostname & /etc/hosts still intact? If it's been up
for a while, I would expect it to resolve itself already. That's how it
used to was anyway.

Nothing in the log files? top show anything of interest?