[CentOS] secure file not updating

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 02:48:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 21:25, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED
<m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Very interesting analysis.  swatch uses tail -f, or something
> that mimics it to watch the file.  I would then guess that as
> per your explanation, swatch contilues to watch the "old file".

Yes, actually using "tail -f" in a terminal while using "vi" to
rewrite the logfile in another terminal you can check that yourself.

You can also use "ls -li" to show the "inode number" of the file, you
will see that after saving the file with "vi" the inode will change,
which will mean that it's a new file.

Filipe