[CentOS] nfs slow?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Dec 17 00:01:42 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Davide Cittaro
> <davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:
>
>> Great! I'm 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.centos.plus! I don't se 2.6.20 in yum
>> updates... is there any unstable repository I should enable?
>>

> You're playing with fire now.  Newer kernels are not necessarily
> backwards compatible, and major breaks can occur.  You are free to do
> as you choose, of course, but this is CentOS - you break it, you own
> it.

to clarify what MHR is saying for the benefit of the uninitiated...  a
given upstream EL major version (3, 4, 5) is released with a specific
kernel, for instance, EL 5 uses 2.6.18.    rather than releasing
completely new kernels, upstream backpatches critical fixes into their
2.6.18 version, effectively creating a branch, the current version of
which is 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 (unless its been updated again since I last
checked).   This maintains near-total compatibility, so that a given
release remains a stable platform for its entire lifespan.