[CentOS] Firefox 3.0.4 and Adobe Flash (CentOS 5 (32bit))

Thu Dec 18 14:59:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>it, Sunday, and it was supposedly OK. Dell wants about US$237 for a
>> new motherboard, delivered to our house. I think I will wait, until I
>> can buy a very low end box, without a monitor, and everything will
>> have a guarantee. I am going to fix up our backup IPCop
>> Router/Firewall box and  use that one, in the meantime. Slow, but it
>> should work....
>
> My backup box is an old 200MHz Pentium w/96MB. Maybe there is a local
> dealer or private party that has a good old one you can pick up $Cheap.
>
> When I'm using the old backup with IPCop, I see no performance
> difference. Should suit your needs if only IPCop is the purpose. And
> maybe the seller would let you try it first.

The box we use for IPCop is a Pentium 233 MHz MMX with 64 MB of RAM.

I am now using my box, with the damaged motherboard. It will run, for
a few minutes, or a few hours, and then it dies. When I looked at it,
while using M$ Windows, Device Manager showed everything OK. I guess
that's why when I ran the Dell Diagnostics on the box, Sunday, it got
an OK. Intermittent...

Mark (mhr) really gave me a super idea last night. I will buy him a
cup of Colombian Coffee or a Beer, if possible! A bare bones computer.
I looked on tigerdirect.com and the thing even comes with a Celeron
2.0 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM and a 450 watt  P.S. Needs a fan for the
CPU, which is not included.   Problem is shipping it down here (13.35
pounds according to their web site) and paying for it with a wire
transfer, etc. (Their web site says they only accept Wire Transfers
for International Orders). It has a PC Chips P53G v.1.0, LGA 775
motherboard, with a VIA Chipset, that I hope will work with
Linux...... US$99.99.  Something like that would save me a lot of time
and work and I would still have our backup IPCop box ready, if I need
it. I am going to try to find something like that here in Colombia,
which would be a lot easier than buying from TigerDirect.com in Miami.
 Am in very good shape and very  grateful that I was able to copy most
or all of my stuff, after this problem began. Backups increase the
level of relaxation....    :-)