[CentOS] regarding vpn server for 1500 clients

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Dec 19 11:17:54 UTC 2008

Dhaval Thakar wrote:
> I prefer non-encryption vpn.
> If I use openvpn, it will require more processing power than poptop.
> I guess creating backup server might become difficult as it works on ssl
> cert. cert created on server1 might not work with server2. Whereas in
> poptop I need to copy single file (chap-secrets).

1500 clients is quite a lot, but not hard to handle from a single
machine if you select a cpu capable of doing ssl quickly. eg a power6
machine with a few cores would handle that without any problems.

If you want to stick with commodity hardware, a couple of quad core
amd's should also fit right in.

- KB