[CentOS] Security advice, please

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:56:37 UTC 2008

Try www.auditmypc.com or nmap-online.com rather than grc to look for open ports

> So, two questions really.  First, what should I be looking for on the router,
> to turn off this 'tracking down' activity?

Maybe your router is sending host / port unreachable icmp messages.
You could try to see what is actually happening using wireshark on
another computer from outside your LAN

> Then, I want to read from my own IMAP server when I'm away from home.  Is
> there a better way than opening port 143?

ssh tunnelling?
fwknop? (if you want all ports to appear closed)
<http://cipherdyne.org/fwknop/>

mike