[CentOS] UDEV rule allow users to unmount USB stick

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:31:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 6:39 AM, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Mark's assumption was correct.  In KDE, the right-click menu item is
> "Safely remove".  I find it interesting, though, that root can manually
> mount a USB drive from the command line and any user can "safely remove"
> it via KDE.

>From what I can see, this does not happen in Gnome because Gnome
doesn't recognize a manually mounted USB drive at all.  If I plug in a
USB drive, then use the right-click "Unmount" to unmount it, then
mount it as root, Gnome does not see it (!) and does not post the icon
for it.  It shows up in df and most other command line utilities, and
I can see it in nautilus as well (duh - it's mounted on a fixed mount
point!), but Gnome doesn't see it the same way.  So, no, Gnome isn't
broken the same way as KDE, it's different....  :-)

mhr