[CentOS] regarding vpn server for 1500 clients

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 23 20:55:17 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> But ssl vpns work though just about any firewall/proxy/nat that already
>>> permit https.  Traversing those can be painful or impossible for ipsec.
>>>
>> The problem is NATs (so speaks a co-author of RFC 1918!). SSL vpns
>> tunnel networking over Transport. Gee I wonder why that works through NATs?
>>

> Or, given the near-universal use of NATs, you have to wonder about the
> viability of anything that doesn't traverse them gracefully.
>

>> Part of the NAT traversal mess contributed to my drive for HIP which the
>> actual developers realized needed a different ESP mode: BEET. Of course
>> even HIP needs ICE to find things out there and to be found....
>>

> I'm not sure what any of those acronyms means,

For HIP (Host Identity Protocol) check out RFCs 4423 adn 5202 - 5207.

For BEET (Bound End to End Transport), it is an Internet Draft:
www.ietf.org/*internet*-*draft*s/*draft*-nikander-esp-*beet*-mode-09.txt

ESP has challenges going through a NAT as the outer IP addresses of the
tunnel are bound to the Security Association. With BEET, that is
removed, the outer IP addresses are not used in calcuating the
authentication. More differences than that, but in a nutshell...

BEET is now part of the 2.6.27 kernel. I want to finish some testing
then get a bug report into Redhat to get them to add it to the 2.6.18
kernel for RHEL/Centos 5.
> but the other problem
> with IPsec is that the usual tools don't provide an interface for
> routing and they need some other mechanism to decide what goes through
> them.

This has always been my issue with IPsec tunnels. What to use and do you
know if what you want secured is? Thus the policy always is all or
nothing; very broken per the RFC. FreeSWAN tried doing it better, but
kind of sputtered out (Hugh really wanted to do it right). This was thus
another issue I had with tunnel mode over transport that led to BEET mode.

> On Ciscos I've always set up GRE tunnels to get something the
> routing protocols can see, then crypto-mapped the GRE packets.  Is there
> a common computer implementation that would mesh with this?

No. At least that I know of.