[CentOS] Security advice, please

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 25 14:40:19 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 25 December 2008 11:12:19 Lanny Marcus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>
>> wrote: <snip>

>> <snip>
>> I again offer you my "solution", which is to take with me "Live CDs"
>> for CentOS 5.2 and Knoppix. I reboot the box in an Internet cafe, from
>> a Live CD, do what I need/want to do, and when I am done, I remove the
>> Live CD and reboot the public box again. I have not installed anything
>> on their box and I am much safer, surfing, etc., on a public box.
>>

> I'll bet you're popular at those cafes :-)

Going WAY back.  Comdex Atlanta, learly 90s.

The hotel I got stuffed in quite a ways from downtown, had 'old'
hardwired phones, no RJ11 jacks.  But I was a REAL road warrior, I had
my full tool kit of tools, jumper cables and the like.  I had the phone
apart and my computer wired in and cleaning came in for some reason (I
was running late and had not left for the show yet).  She freaked and
called security.  I had to show management that I knew more about their
phone system than anyone around and would put everything back.  SHEESH!

Then there was that 5 star hotel in Chicago where their integrated data
jack could not support speeds faster than 1200bps no matter what they
claimed (and I finally nailed the pbx rep on the junk they sold the
hotel in front of the hotel manager).

It never ends.  We are always dealing with the lowest common
denominator, GREED!  Followed by stupidity.

Scott Bradner, one of the original IETFers (his middle initial is 'O'
and he LOVES to sign things with just his initials) once said at an IETF
plenary session:

"The clue level in the Internet is a constant.  The Internet is growing
geometrically.  I leave the math to you."