[CentOS] 2 internet connections and one for backup

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Thu Dec 25 20:01:05 UTC 2008

> I've got 2 internet connections but unfortunately not the same - 6mbit
> and 1 mbit. My default is 6mbit and I want to create backup connection
> (1mbit). How can do it? Has anybody done it? My perfect scenario is that
> my network uses 1mbit if (only) 6mbit fails and it switches
> automatically.

There is a big difference if you are trying to failover for incoming
traffic with a range of IP addresses or if you are just looking to have
outgoing traffic just continue working in case of a failure of your
primary link.

If you are trying to provide outgoing Internet connectivity only,
<http://lartc.org/lartc.html> should provide you instructions for what you
are trying to accomplish.

Barry