[CentOS] ZFS on Linux

Davide Cittaro davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Sun Dec 28 19:38:10 UTC 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Mag Gam wrote:

> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.

Even if fuse implementation of ZFS looks rather stable, I won't
suggest it in a production environment...
We strongly wanted ZFS and we chose for Solaris 10 for our file server.

> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
> important

ZFS really is great. We are now managing three 18Tb archives. It is
not only reliable, it comes with zpool and zfs commands that really
make it easy to manage!
If you don't want Solaris, you can use FreeBSD 7 which supports native
ZFS.

Davide Cittaro
davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it