[CentOS] OT: (a) Biostar or MSI mainboard? (b) all Celeron CPU's OK?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Dec 28 23:19:26 UTC 2008

Lanny Marcus wrote:
> And, I believe, in the Dell Dimensions, we have 4 of them, they use
> Proprietary cases, motherboards and PSUs.

not since the 90s, anyways.  at one time, Dell dimensions used PSUs with
two wires swapped on the power connector, but they haven't done this in
a long long time.   Their P4 and newer tower systems should hold any
standard ATX board of the right general size (micro vs mini vs full
sized, depending on the specific chassis).      Dell does like to use
passive heatsinks powered by 120mm case fans and shrouds, this obviously
won't work if the CPU on the replacement motherboard is in a different
place, but the shroud can be removed, the case fan reversed to exhaust,
and a conventional heatsink/fan cpu cooler used instead.