[CentOS] DNS resolver over IPv6

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 30 01:14:36 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote on Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:21:48 -0500:
>

>> nslookup
>>

> is deprecated. Did you try with host? May give you the same result, but, well
> ..

So what tool has replaced it?  I have only been using nslookup for some
14 years...

>> I setup /etc/resolv.conf as shown at:
>> http://docsun.cites.uiuc.edu/sun_docs/C/solaris_9/SUNWaadm/SYSADV5/p13.html
>> (the only hit I got on configuring resolv.conf for an IPv6 DNS server).
>>

> You used ::1 then?

nslookup - ::1

also had 'connection timeout, no servers could be reached'.

Which would be expected if nslookup does not support IPv6 (particularly
if it has been deprecated and replaced with something else, what).

I changed /etc/resolv.conf to have:

nameserver ::1

in it, and ping6 -n host.htt. still got 'unknown host'