[CentOS] GRUB Timeout problem

Wed Dec 3 21:44:00 UTC 2008
Mark Snyder <mark at jmktdis.com>

I recently installed CentOS 5.1 on a DL71 ASI notebook.

After my yum update the timeout parameter in /boot/grub/grub.conf file
has no effect.  It sits at the grub screen forever unless I press the
enter key to select a kernel, at which point it will boot.

Any help or suggestions to fix this would be much appreciated

CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
Kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 on an i686

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.18.el5)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-53.el5)
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.el5.img
~
~
"grub.conf" 21L, 725C