[CentOS] Missing grub functionality on CentOS 5

Sun Dec 7 18:50:24 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

There's grub 0.97 on CentOS 5. The manual at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html says it is
for 0.97. However, it mentions for instance a program grub-set-default
that is not present in grub-0.97-13.2. It also mentions grub.conf options
savedefault and fallback. Are these available in the CentOS grub?

I tried with savedefault and it does not create a /boot/grub/default as it
should. So I have to assume that fallback isn't there either.
The CentOS 5 grub is the same as the CentOS 4 grub and I would assume that
it's the latest "legacy" grub, so it should include all that.
Anyone knows why it doesn't? Anyone knows if it includes savedefault and
fallback functionality? If so, how to make use of it?

I downloaded the source and built (but not installed) it, that includes a
grub-set-default file. I created a default file with it, but it's still
not getting used by savedefault. So I must assume the functionality is not
built in the CentOS grub.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany