[CentOS] yum-updatesd or similar for CentOS 4

Thu Dec 11 20:46:01 UTC 2008
Alexander Farber <alexander.farber at gmail.com>

Hello,

we have enabled yum-updatesd on our dozen real
and virtual machines running CentOS 5.2 some time
ago and are very satisfied:

afarber at ablsw01:~> grep -v ^# /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf
[main]
run_interval = 7200
updaterefresh = 1200

emit_via = email
dbus_listener = no

do_update = yes
do_download = yes
do_download_deps = yes

(it would be good to make it use the proxy though...)

My plan is to keep the update mails and if
anything goes wrong, install the older packages.
But until now I never needed to do that :-)

However we have few machines running CentOS 4.7
which we can't upgrade to 5 (because of Oracle 9 etc.)

Is there some similar service available?

Or has anybody experience in putting "yum -y update"
into crontab for  CentOS 4? Any good advices?

Thank you
Alex