[CentOS] Centos 5.2 yum check-update fails - repo change?

Fri Dec 12 19:22:46 UTC 2008
Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com>

A couple of days ago I run yum update to take care of installing new updates
for evolution.i386, evolution-data-server.i386 and nscd.i386 . The update
went through with no fuss. Yesterday when I ran check-update I got the exact
same updates list. So I did not run yum update, thinking this was a sync
error or a repo issue.

Today (just a few minutes ago) I ran the update check again and got the same
list. So I ran yum clean all and now I get a different error, detailed below.
Anyone know why this happens or what to do? I see the epel mirror has changed
but don't know why or what to make of it. Advice welcome.

Dave

--------------- transcript follows -----------------------

[admin at cserver ~]$ yum check-update
 * epel: www.muug.mb.ca
 * virtualmin: software.virtualmin.com
 * virtualmin-universal: software.virtualmin.com
 * base: centos.arcticnetwork.ca
 * updates: www.muug.mb.ca
 * addons: www.muug.mb.ca
 * extras: www.muug.mb.ca
0 packages excluded due to repository priority protections

evolution.i386                           2.12.3-8.el5_2.3       updates
evolution-data-server.i386               1.12.3-6.el5_2.3       updates
nscd.i386                                2.5-24.el5_2.2         updates
[admin at cserver ~]$ man yum
[admin at cserver ~]$ yum clean all
You need to be root to perform this command.
[admin at cserver ~]$ su -
Password:
[root at cserver ~]# yum clean all
Cleaning up Everything
Cleaning up list of fastest mirrors
[root at cserver ~]# exit
logout

[admin at cserver ~]$ yum check-update
Determining fastest mirrors
 * epel: www.muug.mb.ca
 * virtualmin: software.virtualmin.com
 * virtualmin-universal: software.virtualmin.com
 * base: www.muug.mb.ca
 * updates: www.muug.mb.ca
 * addons: www.muug.mb.ca
 * extras: www.muug.mb.ca
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel.
Please verify its path and try again
[admin at cserver ~]$ yum check-update
Determining fastest mirrors
 * epel: mirror.its.uidaho.edu
 * virtualmin: software.virtualmin.com
 * virtualmin-universal: software.virtualmin.com
 * base: ftp.telus.net
 * updates: ftp.telus.net
 * addons: ftp.telus.net
 * extras: ftp.telus.net
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel.
Please verify its path and try again
[admin at cserver ~]$

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933