[CentOS] Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...: Connection timed out

Thu Dec 18 07:42:17 UTC 2008
Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75 at gmail.com>

Hi ALL,

I recently withed from CentOS 3 X  server to CentOS 4.5. It works fine
other than printers.

there are many printers connected to it. We have configured the commnad

printconf

queue type is Networked UNIX (LPD)

Some times, we will be able to print , But, some times, We will NOT be
able to print.

We can ping its ip address. Even, when we can't print, We can ping its
ip address.

When we check logs , we see something like this.

[Job 888] Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...:
Connection timed out

Then, What we do is , We go to application, system setting, printing

and when we get the window, We click apply button,
Then, again, We will be able to print.

Could u pls let me know why?

But, When We used CentOS 3X, it worked fine. No problem at all.

here are rpms installed on  CentOS 3X

[root at lwlsvr_old root]# rpm -qa |grep cups
cups-1.1.17-13.3.32
cups-libs-1.1.17-13.3.32

[root at lwlsvr_old root]# rpm -qa |grep samba
redhat-config-samba-1.0.16-5
samba-common-3.0.9-1.3E.5
samba-3.0.9-1.3E.5
samba-swat-3.0.9-1.3E.5