[CentOS] BackupPC newbie: a couple more questions

Mon Dec 22 17:18:54 UTC 2008
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

1. I'm running - or trying to run - BackupPC under Centos-5.2,
and have been looking at various BackupPC HOWTOs and tutorials.

I see that the "Falko" tutorial at <http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_backuppc>
recommends (on page 3) that one should enter one's username,
"falko" in this case, as the user in /etc/BackupPC/hosts .

Other tutorials suggest one should use the user "backuppc",
who was indeed created by "yum install BackupPC".

2. This tutorial also suggests at one point that when exchanging SSH keys
one should login to the BackupPC server as backuppc .
"Yum install BackupPC" did indeed create a user backuppc on the server,
but the entry in /etc/passwd reads
        backuppc:x:101:104::/var/lib/BackupPC:/sbin/nologin
so I cannot login as (or su to) backuppc .

Should I alter this password entry?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net