[CentOS] DNS resolver over IPv6

Mon Dec 29 22:21:48 UTC 2008

I have a Centos server that is running BIND and has IPv6 global addresses.

I have entered a number of AAAA records into this copy of BIND in a
local view and zone (tld is htt).

Over IPv4, I have no trouble with nslookup ('nslookup - 127.0.0.1' and
'nslookup - 192.168.128.55').  I get the AAAA records back.

But if I try to use the IPv6 address of the system I get a time out.
Both from nslookup and from ping6.

I setup /etc/resolv.conf as shown at:
http://docsun.cites.uiuc.edu/sun_docs/C/solaris_9/SUNWaadm/SYSADV5/p13.html
(the only hit I got on configuring resolv.conf for an IPv6 DNS server).

I have turned off both ip6tables and iptables so it is not a firewall issue.

Even 'nslookup - <ipv6 addr>' does not work.  I seem to recall a problem
with nslookup supporting udp over IPv6, but ping6 should not have that
problem.

This is all on the single system running BIND.  I figure i got to get
that working before worrying about other systems!