[CentOS] Is 4GB memory the 64bit switch tipping point?

Mon Dec 8 11:34:37 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

I've been mainly bitten by paragraphs 1 and 3 with respect to the server-side
installations.

I opted to run the x86 PAE-kernel instead of going with the 64b-OS, on my Dell
PE (which has 4GB RAM). This coincidentally also solved issue #3, the
compatibility concerns (as in software). Most everything will run fine on 32b,
be it server or desktop.

If you want to run really modern hardware you might have issues with either x86
or x64 OS:es. My Dell PE is a refurbished machine with a couple of years under
the belt, so hardware incompatibilities shouldn't be a concern with eg CentOS
5.2. Software dittos is another matter though, especially if I'd opted with a
x64 OS.

This goes for both CentOS/linux and in my case Windows as well. I admin both
camps. Your own personal mileage may vary though, as you may run different
hardware and software than I do, so generalizing may be a bit difficult IMHO and
filled with gotchas' as it were.

HTH.
--
/Sorin