[CentOS] nfs slow?

Wed Dec 10 19:40:12 UTC 2008
Stefan Held <obi at unixkiste.org>

Am Mittwoch, den 10.12.2008, 20:07 +0100 schrieb Davide Cittaro:
> Hi all, I'm migrating from Gentoo to CentOS... I'm experiencing a
> rather low performance in NFS r/w (as client).

I am not the Linux Expert when it comes to the nfs implementation,
but you should try two things:

1.) Nail Linux to use nfs v3  (imho mount option  nfsvers=3)
2.) Use TCP, UDP Transmits are often slow these days. (mount option tcp)

> NFS server is solaris (which exports zfs volumes via nfs). The very
> same exports were mounted with the same parameters (auto,nosuid,exec)
> on gentoo and centos server (bot x86_64)... It happens that centos is
> 5-10 times slower either in read and write operations... Ok, I'll try
> to tune rsize and wsize, but does anybody have an hint on this low
> performance?

Maybe gentoo uses v3 per default. We have made great improvements at our
site with these mount options.

--

Stefan Held                    VI has only 2 Modes:
obi unixkiste org              The first one is for beeping all the time,