[CentOS] sendmail Deferred mail - reason unknown

Mon Dec 15 22:28:32 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 12-15-2008 2:12 PM Bob Hoffman spake the following:

>> There are more reasons than a conspiracy to get you to pay a
>> subscription...
>>
> True, but in most or almost all, it is not your sendmail or your server that
> has anything to do with it. A bounce would indicate a problem or other
> things...but 'defer' could mean anything. I get a lot from yahoo, both with
> the stupid ID things and one server without them. They can defer for a
> while.
>
> I seldom get a defer from anywhere else, but a mailout of a large list could
> get some.
>
> But I see nothing you can do at your end if you are sending it other than
> sending a letter to the deferring agent if you have the email, you know who
> it is. If it is a big company like yahoo or hotmail, I would just send a
> letter to the recipient and tell them about the issue so they can expect a
> delay.
>
> Anyone notice how little junk snail mail they are getting now? Or how many
> snuggie blanket ads they are receiving via email....strange world out there.
Bulk mail is still expensive, and it is easier for the scammers to send e-mail
then to try and get a bulk mail piece past the postal inspectors.

Looking at my stats for the year, At the beginning of 2008 I was rejecting (at
MTA) less than half a million messages a month. Now it is over 2 million a
month. That is pre-processing rejections on a system with less than a hundred
people on it. I can imagine what you ISP level guys are dumping!

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and