[CentOS] Any way to reduce CPU use of OpenSSH?

Mon Dec 15 22:53:52 UTC 2008
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

Steve Snyder wrote:
> On my CentOS v5.2 server (dual Pentium4) the OpenSSH daemon stands out
> as being the most CPU-intensive of the

Wow, you must be sending terabytes of stuff through ssh. :-)

Assuming the request is legit:

1. Disable compression if you don't need it.

2. Try another crypto protocol. Years ago, when this problem was real
:-) (sorry, no offense), I used to force blowfish instead of whatever
crypto was default back then, and it produced a significant decrease of
CPU usage on those Pentium II processors.

ssh -c blowfish-cbc hostname

I don't know which protocol is fastest nowadays, but I guess you can do
a quick test and find out.

There might be some security implications for using a different crypto
protocol, but you need to figure that out yourself.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/