[CentOS] nfs slow?

Tue Dec 16 22:54:32 UTC 2008
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Davide Cittaro
<davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:
> Hi all, I'm migrating from Gentoo to CentOS... I'm experiencing a
> rather low performance in NFS r/w (as client).
> NFS server is solaris (which exports zfs volumes via nfs). The very
> same exports were mounted with the same parameters (auto,nosuid,exec)
> on gentoo and centos server (bot x86_64)... It happens that centos is
> 5-10 times slower either in read and write operations... Ok, I'll try
> to tune rsize and wsize, but does anybody have an hint on this low
> performance?

Which version of CentOS are you using? The upstream kernels have had
issues at different points with NFS performance (the 2.6.18 had a
bunch of problems that were fixed in 2.6.20-22 time frame and have had
to be backported.. then there were changes and breakage somewhere
after that.. ) I normally try a set of comparisons:

1) What does CentOS-4 do? What does CentOS-5 do? 4 may actually be
faster than 5 in some cases due to switch/card issues.
2) Then there are issues with TCP, size of frames, etc...

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux