[CentOS] nfs slow?

Tue Dec 16 23:00:38 UTC 2008
Davide Cittaro <davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it>

On Dec 16, 2008, at 11:49 PM, Craig White wrote:

> larger rsize/wsize values do not necessarily translate to faster and I
> was of the opinion that going over 65536 wasn't going to help at all.
> With some NFS servers, a smaller rsize/wsize is better. (8192 or
> 16384)
> but that is the point of tuning I suppose.

I've tried r/w sizes from 8k to auto (that is 104k for Solaris server
and 32k for FreeBSD server)... there are minor changes in max speed
(let's say it ranges from 70 to 80 MB/s).

> hubs/switches, wires and the network cards themselves all can impact
> performance - it's not necessarily CentOS itself.

Well, as long as Gentoo linux and FreeBSD clients show ~100 MB/s...
BTW I'm using
2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.centos.plus
kernel on x86_64 hardware... I need to use CentOS (I migrated from
Gentoo for sake of simplicity) but this NFS issue really... well, it
is not a good thing :-)

Davide Cittaro
davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it