[CentOS] vim helpfile tag issues

Wed Dec 17 04:11:16 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 22:12, Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz> wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone can replicate this issue....
>
> if I try and access the help files direct (as root), such as ":help
> tutor" I get:
>
> If I press enter, it shows me what appears to be the output of a binary.

This is a bug long known to me (I never bothered to open a bug report
for it though).

"vim" has a plug-in to open compressed files, however in compatible
mode (which is the mode used when you call "vi" or if you don't have
the alias set) the plug-in is not loaded, so it cannot open the
helpfiles properly.

Never found a good workaround other than using "vim" explicitely.

Filipe