[CentOS] Rebuild xorg (continued from Centos-devel)

Mon Dec 22 17:38:21 UTC 2008
William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>

On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 17:56 +0100, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-12-22, 00:11 GMT, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > He had tried vesa in a parameter to system-config-display, as
> > suggested by Alan, and it hadn't worked. So I figured try
> > something that _ought_ to work on stuff even 10 years old (or
> > older) and go from there.
>
> OK, if *that* didn't work, then I would ask really to pay a visit
> to bugzilla.redhat.com, component xorg-x11-drv-ati, attach
> xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Well, having faith that things really _are_ working, one of his messages
in the log file about insufficient memory reminded me that many laptops
and less-expensive desktops have shared memory. I've suggested that he
check BIOS for various things.

I've also suggested that the OP select some appropriate subset of the
messages and X.org log files if the BIOS things don't solve it.

I still don't believe it's necessary for him to rebuild X or any
underlying components yet. Of course, I operate in almost total
ignorance, so that belief may be totally bogus.

> Thanks,
>
> Matěj

BTW, did you forget about the plugins problem we were pursuing? I'll
post a reminder in a few minutes so we don't hijack/pollute this thread.

--
Bill