[CentOS] UDEV rule allow users to unmount USB stick

Tue Dec 23 01:46:07 UTC 2008
MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Philip Manuel <phil at zomojo.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand why a normal user is not allowed to unmount
> their USB stick?  I think it is most likely a udev rule.  does anyone know ?
>
> Thanks

If I understand this correctly, it's a mount/umount rule - normal
users cannot run root commands.  They are written to disallow normal
users from performing root tasks.

However, if you are using gnome, you can use the gnome-umount command
(which is the equivalent of right-clicking the icon and selecting
"Unmount").  I suspect there is a similar analogue in KDE.

mhr