[CentOS] Fwd: Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...: Connection timed out

Tue Dec 23 11:25:09 UTC 2008
Indunil Jayasooriya <indunil75 at gmail.com>

Hi,

Thanks evryone for giving your support. I downlaoded cups rpm from
Centos 4.7 and updated on CentOS 4.5 . But, problem still exists.

Now, May I know Can I download cups from Cent OS 3.6 and install on CentOS 4.5?

The reason for that is , On Cent OS 3.6, it worked perfectly.

Hope to hear from you.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Snyder <mark at jmktdis.com>
Date: Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:38 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30
seconds...: Connection timed out
To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>

Indunil Jayasooriya wrote:
> Hi ALL,
>
> I recently withed from CentOS 3 X  server to CentOS 4.5. It works fine
> other than printers.
>
> there are many printers connected to it. We have configured the commnad
>
> printconf
>
> queue type is Networked UNIX (LPD)
>

> Some times, we will be able to print , But, some times, We will NOT be
> able to print.
>
> We can ping its ip address. Even, when we can't print, We can ping its
> ip address.
>
> When we check logs , we see something like this.
>
> [Job 888] Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...:
> Connection timed out
>

> snip
>

> Hope to hear form you.

We have a CentOS 4.x server at a hosting facility that currently has 73
printers defined on various protocols (socket, ipp, lpd) which can see
extensive delays in print jobs.  We are seeing the same error in our
logs.  As a work around for this issue you can do a cupsdisable then a
cupsenable for the effected printer which should clear the delay and
start it working again, provided that you can ping the printer and the
printer itself is not causing the problem. If that does not fix it try
doing a service cups restart.

Mark