[CentOS] yum update via NX connection?

Thu Dec 25 01:19:02 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Somewhere in the process of doing a yum update from a terminal window
>> open in an NX/freenx desktop session, the whole session blew up -
>> perhaps when ssh restarted or when freenx was updated.  The yum update
>> did not complete beyond that point and the session was gone when I
>> reconnected.   Is that supposed to happen?  (Centos 5.x)
>
> Yes, it does happen.  For more details, please see (warning, very long thread):
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=17166&forum=37
>
> If you now have a broken rpm database because of the interrupted yum
> session, the thread has a remedy for that.

OK, that long thread caused a headache for someone (can't tell you
who), so I'm going to give you a shortcut.

Run the command:

rpm -qa --qf "%{NAME} %{ARCH}\n" | sort | uniq -c | awk '$1 != 1 {
print $2 }' | sort

If the output shows anything other than gpg-pubkey or kernel*, then
your rpm database is most likely broken.  Go to #45 of that thread.
The OP nicely summarized the procedure to fix it.

Akemi / toracat