[CentOS] Fasttrack Repo on CentOS 4

Fri Dec 26 14:17:33 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Vandaman wrote:
> A quick question on the fasttrack repo which is now
> up to date with upstream. Why is the fasttrack repo not
> in the main CentOS-Base.repo file but contrib which has never
> had anything is included in the main CentOS-Base.repo file?

As I have stated before, CentOS does not maintain the fastrack repo for
all the versions we release.  IN fact ... it is only maintained (to the
best of my knowledge) by me on CentOS-4 i386 and x86_64.

> The goal of CentOS is to be binary-compatible with upstream so
> fasttrack is "more important" in this regard than contrib.
> Upsteam ships with the main channels as well as fasttrack.

Fast track is something that was added later by upstream ... as such it
requires changes to existing packages to roll in.  Contrib was rolled in
at the beginning of CentOS, so it was designed with that already in there.

All of this takes time, something that I don't have an unlimited supply of.

Upstream does NOT ship with fastrack turned on .. and it is a channel on
RHN, not really part of. They also have many other channels available
that CentOS does not have time to provide, like MRG, the Z series repos
and others.  If you want all the bells and whistles that a multi-million
corporation can provide, feel free to actually BUY a RHEL license :D

> As CentOS includes the repos in one repo file rather than having
> separate files, this tradition should be considered for fasttrack
> as well.

I will look at rolling in changes to the CentOS-Base.repo file ...
however, if someone has ever changed their file, then it will not get
updated anyway as a CentOS-Base.repo.rpmnew will be created in that case.

I am certainly open to do things that makes CentOS better and I have no
problems making changes that are convenient, but I also do not think
that downloading a text file for an added repo is that difficult.