[CentOS] ZFS on Linux

Mon Dec 29 05:57:30 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008, Davide Cittaro wrote:

>On Dec 28, 2008, at 7:16 PM, Mag Gam wrote:
>
>> I am planning to use ZFS on my Centos 5.2 systems. The data I am
>> storing is very large text files where each file can range from 10M to
>> 20G. I am very interested on the compression feature of ZFS, and it
>> seems no other native Linux FS supports it.
>>

>Even if fuse implementation of ZFS looks rather stable, I won't
>suggest it in a production environment...
>We strongly wanted ZFS and we chose for Solaris 10 for our file server.
>
>> My question are: Is ZFS stable? How does it scale for very large
>> filesytems, ie, 2TB to 9TB? How is the performance of fuse? I plan to
>> use it on my archive server first, so data reliability is very
>> important
>
>ZFS really is great. We are now managing three 18Tb archives. It is
>not only reliable, it comes with zpool and zfs commands that really
>make it easy to manage!
>If you don't want Solaris, you can use FreeBSD 7 which supports native
>ZFS.

I would go with Opensolaris.  There has been quite a bit of
messaging on the freebsd lists on zfs that give me the impression
that zfs on freebsd is not really ready for prime time.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

The most serious doubt that has been thrown on the authenticity of the
biblical miracles is the fact that most of the witnesses in regard to
them were fishermen.  -- Arthur Binstead