[CentOS] ZFS on Linux

Mon Dec 29 15:26:14 UTC 2008
Tony Placilla <aplacil1 at jhuadig.admin.jhu.edu>

<8E388B67-1D39-4095-95C5-132B02E4F63C at ifom-ieo-campus.it>, Davide Cittaro
<davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2008, at 7:09 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> Bill Campbell wrote:
>>> I would go with Opensolaris.
>>

>> for a dedicated production storage server, I would go with Solaris 10.
>> unless there's some specific feature/capability you need thats only in
>> OpenSolaris.
>
> Totally agree. Solaris 10 is known for its stability. OpenSolaris
> includes some advanced capabilities that will be included into Solaris
> (especially on zfs and kernel side).
>
> Solaris : OpenSolaris = CentOS : Fedora
>
> (more or less...)

I agree in general with most every opinion. Especially Davide's comment above. Very good analogy
Open Solaris may be your best choice.
I would suggest you do pay attention to Solaris itself. It's free (as in beer) from Sun & it works.

Here at the JHU libraries we manage about 1/2 PB of online data varying from images, audio, scanned documents, etc. in a ZFS instance on some massive storage.
We evaluated all the iterations of ZFS on various OS's. ZFS/fuse was eliminated fairly quickly along with BSD.
For the critical stuff we use Solaris on Sun H/W. For general storage it's Solaris_x86 on generic x86 H/W.

Tony Placilla <aplacilla at jhu.edu>
Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University