[CentOS] Problems to install java plugin in CentOS 5.1 x86_64

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 1 03:15:14 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 00:46 -0200, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> --- El Vie 01 Feb 2008, Hendrik Strydom encontró un teclado y tipeó lo
> siguiente:
> > HS: On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 23:51 -0200, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> > HS: > --- El Mié 30 Ene 2008, Ralph Angenendt encontró un teclado y tipeó
> > lo HS: > siguiente:
> > HS: > > RA: Sergio Belkin wrote:
> > HS: > > RA: > Hi!
> > HS: > > RA: >
> > HS: > > RA: > I've tried to install java plugin as is in
> > HS: > > RA: >
> > http://www.howtoforge.com/installation-guide-centos5.1-desktop-p7 but HS: >
> > > with no RA: > success.
> > HS: > > RA: >
> > HS: > > RA: > All steps seems to go well, with no error messages, but
> > Firefox says HS: > > that RA: > there is no java plugin.
> > HS: > > RA:
> > HS: > > RA: Are you using a 64bit version of CentOS? Then it won't work -
> > Sun's HS: > > java RA: plugin only works on 32bit browsers.
> > HS: >
> > HS: > I'm using Centos 64bit, but I have firefox 32bit installed
> > HS:
> > HS: Are you sure you only have the 32 bit version installed?
> > HS: yelp lists the 64 bit version as a dependency, and the /usr/bin/firefox
> > HS: script checks for the existence of and runs the 64 bit version if it
> > HS: exists.
> > HS:
> > HS: Does
> > HS: rpm -q firefox
> > HS: only return line with firefox?
>
> No Hendrik, I have installed both, but is that a problem?
This depends how you start firefox.  The /usr/bin/firefox script will
always start the 64 bit version if it is installed.
If contains a check that sets MOZ_LIB_DIR to use the 64 bit version:

MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib"
if [ -x "/usr/lib64/firefox-1.5.0.12/firefox-bin" ]
then
  MOZ_LIB_DIR="/usr/lib64"
fi

You may need to intervene here to use the 32 bit version.  A simple
check when firefox is running is to do:

$ ps -ef | grep firefox

this will return lines containing either:
	/usr/lib64/firefox-1.5.0.12/firefox-bin
which is the 64 bit version, or
	/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.12/firefox-bin
which is the 32 bit version.
If you edit /usr/bin/firefox directly to prevent it from using the 64
bit version it will work for all users, but you need to redo it with
every firefox update.  If you copy this to for
example /usr/bin/firefox32 you need to manually create a shortcut to
start firefox for all affected users.  (If you update the original menu
entry it may well be replaced with an update - I have not tested this.)
I tend to update a shortcut on the panel, which is more convenient to
use.

Regards
  Hendrik