[CentOS] cpu type

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Sun Feb 3 16:48:32 UTC 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 12:21pm on Sunday, February 03, 2008 (UK time), Jimmy Bradley
> I think you are correct.  The appriate line from my 64 bit machine is:
>
>> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
>                                  ^^

The right answer for the wrong reason. The modelnamn is just an arbitrary
string. The OPs processor could very well be named as it is and still be
x86_64 capable.

The right place to look is a bit further down:

>> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
>> cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
>> 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm ts fid vid ttp tm stc

This part lists all the features of the CPU and the one that means x86_64 is
callled "lm" (long-mode). This Semperon CPU should not be able to run an
x86_64 linux dist.

/Peter