[CentOS] cpu type

Peter Kjellstrom cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Feb 4 16:29:42 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008, Warren Young wrote:
> Jimmy Bradley wrote:
> > would I really gain anything right now by going to a 64bit machine?

First, I'm not really disagreening with you, many users probably wouldn't see
any advantages with x86_64. But you facts were a bit off...

> Not unless you put at least 4 GB of RAM in it, and from your description
> of what you do, you have no good reason to do that.

Actually you get benefits already above 900-something megs. This because a
32-bit will start juggeling with both low-mem and high-mem.

> If you don't have enough RAM to need 64-bit addressing, you're just
> slowing the system down, making it deal with larger addresses for no
> benefit.

Not quite true either, x86_64 brings with it, for example, more registers.

/Peter