[CentOS] Enterprise-class monitoring system for CentOS and Win2k3 server

Sean Carolan

scarolan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:49:54 UTC 2008

Can anyone recommend an enterprise-class monitoring system for both
Linux and Windows servers?  Here are my requirements:

SNMP trap collection, ability to import custom MIBs
isup/isdown monitoring of ports and daemons
Server health monitors (CPU, Disk, Memory, etc)
SLA reporting with nice graphs
Pager/Email/SMS alerts with groups, filters and escalations
Built-in MTBF and MTTR reporting
Robust parent-child relationships between monitors or probes.  For
example, the system must be smart enough to know that if 25 URLs have
gone down all at once, that they belong to an apache process that has
died.  I don't want 25 alerts, I want *one* alert telling me that the
parent apache daemon is down.
Ability to easily create dashboards from various monitors.  We want
this so we can see all components of a website in one place, eg,
apache URL, database server, disk storage, etc.
Attractive, easy to use GUI.  We don't want a homebrew project with
ugly graphs and a web 1.0 GUI.

So far the products I have looked at are:
NimBUS
SolarWinds IP Monitor
WhatsUPGold
GroundWork Open Source
Nagios

And none of them have met all my requirements.  Any suggestions?