[CentOS] system smtp server question

Joseph L. Casale

jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Wed Feb 6 17:26:52 UTC 2008

If I have a production mailserver and a series of Linux servers that all develop mail from logging etc, it seems slightly redundant to have so many smtp servers installed on each of those boxes simply forwarding mail as I choose to not have local delivery. Is there a mechanism possible in CentOS to setup a pointer to a different mailserver such that programs like mailx could still send mail?

Currently I have postfix setup with maps so that root on server A has mail sent from root at server-a.fqdn<mailto:root at server-a.fqdn> and that is relayed to my production box. It just seems like it is an additional service to manage on so many hosts?

Thanks!
jlc