[CentOS] Installation problems with large mirrored drives

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Feb 6 21:34:57 UTC 2008

Bowie Bailey wrote:

> Is there a way I can work around this problem?  It has been suggested
> that I build the system with a single drive and then add the mirror to
> it.  Is it possible to add a mirror to a partition that is an LVM PV?
> Can someone give me a link to a good set of instructions for doing this?

I work around it by not using LVM during installation. I've experienced
random crashes with anaconda going back to at least RHEL 3 I think when
LVM was used during install(kickstart specifically). Often times if
I try a 2nd(or a 3rd) time I can get anaconda to go through without
crashing on LVM.

If you really want LVM I'd suggest something like making your root and
boot(assuming you have seperate ones) partitions standalone mirrored
partitions, setup another pair of mirrored partitions that take up the
rest of the drive that you'll use for LVM, but don't make it LVM, just
make it a normal file system(this so it configures the software raid
end of things for you).

Once the system is installed, then change the partition type of the
last mirrored pair to be LVM, and configure LVM. If you want your
/usr /var etc on LVM make the volumes, go to runlevel 1 and copy
the files to the new locations and re-mount the LVM volumes as
your /usr /var etc.

nate