[CentOS] PCNS for CentOS and APC ups's

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Feb 7 02:37:21 UTC 2008

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Apparently there is only an Itanium client for RHEL according to APC? I need
> to setup a few boxes to shut down safely and don't know if the PCNS 2.2.3
> Linux version will do it? Anyone know why it needs Java as well? (Blegh)
>
> Assuming APC is fairly popular, how do you guys shutdown your CentOS boxes
> with a UPS with a management card in it?

hook the UPS's serial connector to a server and install NUT:
http://www.networkupstools.org/

Not sure if there are pre-built RPMs for CentOS or not. NUT supports
a wide range of UPSs, and OSs, and has a client/server model. It also
has a nice web interface for monitoring UPSs(see the status of lots
of UPSs all at the same time. I hacked up the CGI and embedded it in
the main page of my home server -

https://portal.aphroland.org/

Also supports temperature and humidity sensors available in an expansion
card in the APC UPSs.

Also if you happen to be using nagios there is built in support in
nagios's plugins to check a NUT server for UPS status.

Been using NUT myself for about 8 years now. Mostly on APC UPSs, but
also Cyberpower as well.

nate