[CentOS] Security help desperately needed - more info

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 10:52:36 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 10:29, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I need to have the following services from my server:
>
> imap - mostly by lan, but occasionally external
> file and print serve
> samba access - read and write to some directories

<snip>

> I feel to be thrashing helplessly.  I need help to find a sensible strategy
> for sorting this, then setting correct security measures.

Logwatch for yesterday shows the following:

 --------------------- Automount Begin ------------------------

 **Unmatched Entries**
 create_udp_client: hostname lookup failed: No such process: 17 Time(s)
 lookup_mount: exports lookup failed for .directory: 17 Time(s)
 create_tcp_client: hostname lookup failed: No such process: 17 Time(s)

 ---------------------- Automount End -------------------------

 --------------------- Mountd Begin ------------------------

 Exit after catching signal:
    Signal 15: 1 Time(s)

 ---------------------- Mountd End -------------------------

 --------------------- samba Begin ------------------------

 WARNING!!!!!!
 Errors when creating subnets:
    No subnets to listen to. Shutting down. : 1 Time(s)

 **Unmatched Entries**
 libsmb/nmblib.c:send_udp(791)  Packet send failed to 192.168.0.255(138)
ERRNO=Invalid argument : 1 Time(s)
 libsmb/smb_signing.c:srv_check_incoming_message(737)
srv_check_incoming_message: BAD SIG: seq 2 wanted SMB signature of : 6
Time(s)
 libsmb/smb_signing.c:srv_check_incoming_message(741)
srv_check_incoming_message: BAD SIG: seq 2 got SMB signature of : 6 Time(s)