[CentOS] Security help desperately needed - more info

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 16:07:41 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 15:14, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> I would look at the DNS setup to make sure all host names are resolvable,
> maybe the /etc/hosts file isn't setup properly. Make sure smb ports are
> open inbound and outbound in iptables and the latest selinux profile is
> installed.

/etc/hosts is fine.  All possible connections on the lan are correctly
defined.  dns resolution is via my isp, and again the IP addresses are
correctly set.  That leaves the security settings, where I believe the
problem is.  So, let's start with iptables.  I've never worked directly with
iptables before.  I use shorewall when I set up the older server, a long time
ago.  /usr/share/doc/iptables... doesn't help.  Does that mean that the man
pages are the only help?  Googling, I suppose.  Any particular documents
recommended?

SELinux can wait until this is sorted.

Anne