[CentOS] Security help desperately needed - more info

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 19:08:12 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 16:10:24 Michael Simpson wrote:
> On 2/7/08, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 February 2008 15:13, Michael Simpson wrote:
> > > I could be wrong (often am) but it might be worth trying it out to see
> > > if it gets rid of the error pertaining to subnet creation.
> >
> > I took the notation as I set it from a book when I first started using
> > samba - 2001/2?  'Using Samba', I believe.  It has worked without a
> > problem up to now.  I don't think that smb.conf as such is the problem.
> >
> > Anne
>
> i agree
> Life is just one big learning experience.
> After sitting various cisco certs i get a bit hung up about ip addressing.
> Didn't use 0 subnets for years for instance, guess i need to loosen up

<sigh> so after taking an hour out to eat, I come back to the laptop only to
find that samba is once more unavailable.  Back out to the office, and

service  smb status
smbd (pid 2871 2859) is running...
nmbd dead but pid file exists

I've never known samba to be flaky before - it always either worked, or
didn't.

Anne