[CentOS] Installation problems with large mirrored drives (SU CCESS!)

Bowie Bailey

Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Fri Feb 8 15:47:42 UTC 2008

Bowie Bailey wrote:
> I am trying to install CentOS 4.6 to a pair of 750GB hard drives.  I
> can successfully install to either of the drives as a single drive,
> but when I try to use both drives and mirror the partitions, I start
> having problems.  Anaconda crashes as it is trying to format the
> drives.
>
> This is what I'm trying to create:
>
>     /dev/md0: 200MB, /boot
>     /dev/md1: 2GB, swap
>     /dev/md2: rest of the drive, LVM PV
>
>     LogVol00: 10GB, /
>     LogVol01: rest of the VG, /home

Thanks for all the suggestions!  I tried a few of them.  They didn't
solve the problem, but they did help me find it.

When I tried to run the install without LVM, I still got the same
anaconda crash (referencing vgremove).  I realized that anaconda was
trying to remove the volume groups that already existed on the drives.
Once I erased all of the partition information on the drives with fdisk,
I was able to do a normal install with LVM.

--
Bowie