[CentOS] Centos 5 on i586

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:40:55 UTC 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 9:02 AM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 05:47:58PM +0100, Matias Surdi wrote:
> > Is possible to install Centos 5 on a 586 CPU? (cpu_type = 5)
> >

> No.  I think there was some interest in making this happen at some
> point:
>
>  http://wiki.centos.org/QaWiki/CentOS5PentiumSupport
>
> However I'm not sure that it will end up happening:
>
>  http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=1836

Pardon me, but you CAN install CentOS 5.1 on any x86 CPU.  If your CPU
is a valid 64-bit CPU, you can install either the i386 version
(32-bit) or the x86_64 version.  You may not get full support of
specific CPU instructions that are available ONLY on your particular
CPU, but the right one will run.

I had 586 CPUs on two different machines at work way back when 5.0
came out, and the x86_64 installation ran just fine on both.

mhr