[CentOS] Centos 5 on i586

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Feb 8 21:50:56 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> I don't think so. i586 (ViA C5/6, AMD K-III) won't even run an i686 kernel...

i586 is the original Pentium and Pentium/MMX (60Mhz to about 233Mhz) as
well as the clones you mention above, while i686 is the Pentium Pro, P2,
P3, P4, and Core, as well as various clones.

for completeness, there's also i386 (the intel 386 processor) and i486
(the intel 486, as well as early K6 versions).

anything prior to i386 wasn't even 32bit and couldn't possibly run linux
(I do somewhere have a version of Microport System V Unix for i286 16bit
protected mode)