[CentOS] Disk partitions and LVM limits

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Feb 8 22:15:46 UTC 2008

Peter Blajev wrote:

> > Undo the LVM config, wipe out any MBR or disklabels on the drive,
> > then pvcreate the raw disk (/dev/sdb) it should be able to handle
> > the whole 5.4TB.
>
> I tried this but I'll try again tonight just in case I missed
> something the
> first time.
>
> I didn't check what pvcreate did but vgcreate after that gave
> me 2TB volume
> group. Googling around it looks like there is 2TB limit and
> there should be
> some kernel parameters to tweak but I still can't get a clear answer.

I believe there is a 2TB limit on fdisk MBR partition tables, and if
one already exists on the disk then LVM will use it.

Do,

pvremove /dev/sdX

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=63

pvcreate /dev/sdX

Do a 'pvs' to list the pv and see it's size there.

When creating a vg there may be a limit on the total # of extents per
vg, so you may have to increase the extent size from 4MB to 8 or 16.

-Ross